Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Green Microgym

Of all the things I do to destroy the earth, the one I feel most guilty about is belonging to my gym. It's an environmental nightmare. When I think about the dozens of electrical cardio machines, the heat in winter and heavy-duty air-conditioning in summer, the horrible toxic cleaning products used all over the building, the hundreds of towels laundered every day, and the fact that we are all in there working so hard, expending so much human energy that goes nowhere, I feel like my head is going to explode. And I know I've read articles about people who power their homes from one exercise bike -- human energy generating electricity! -- how cool is that? They powered the Times Square new year's ball that way this year. Left a couple bikes out for anyone who walked by to ride until they filled up enough batteries to light all those little bulbs. I've been obsessing about this for months -- why don't all gyms function this way? Why don't any?

I thought maybe in California -- there must be at least one. And then I found it. It's in Portland, Oregon, which makes even more sense than California, because people can work out outside in California. In Oregon it's always drizzling. It's called The
Green Microgym
and I dearly wish I could be a member. They use solar energy, have floors of recycled rubber and cork, allow members to turn on lights, fans and TVs only when using them, have double flush toilets, use non-toxic cleaning supplies, etc... And they have those bikes that generate electricity and give members cash back for time spent riding them. The owner, Adam Boesel does phone consultations for those interested in opening a green microgym or greening their existing gym. I am so impressed with him. I hope gyms will start moving in this direction. It makes so much sense -- offers all the same services as any other gym at less cost to everyone and with less damage to the planet.

Spread the word.

No comments: